Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Default Lemony fresh Sketchbook

I feel like that fresh and new sketchbook is in order. The old one that I got is three years old and the links are broken. :-/

For more of my work, go to http://Paintixir.tumblr.com. I'm more active over there.

Latest Stuff:

I'm falling in love with ballpoint pens. I have been doing studies in my sketchbook more than using my tablet and my drawing program.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Mashime
Karbonite

Interesting studies.

Tackling the construction of the figure is something that has eluded me for many years (and still does), so I can appreciate and relate to the efforts you put in fleshing out the volumes with form lines and such. I really like your 15 min pose, I think it shows great form. The quick ones also exude confidence with the placement of simplified gestural contours.

You seem to be studying one of the Loomis books (Figure drawing for all it's worth ?) from the looks of some of those head constructions and use of scale for proportions. Good stuff.

Now regarding your practice with ellipses and boxes, I think these are important, and have somewhat helped me (been drawing a hour of them everyday, starting to see some progress). If I can offer a word of advice concerning the construction of cylinders it would be to pay more attention to the minor axis. In some of your inclined ones the ellipses seem to conform to an arbitrary horizontal line instead of the minor axis. Hope that makes sense, if not I can go more in depth.
Mashime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashime
Interesting studies.

Tackling the construction of the figure is something that has eluded me for many years (and still does), so I can appreciate and relate to the efforts you put in fleshing out the volumes with form lines and such. I really like your 15 min pose, I think it shows great form. The quick ones also exude confidence with the placement of simplified gestural contours.

You seem to be studying one of the Loomis books (Figure drawing for all it's worth ?) from the looks of some of those head constructions and use of scale for proportions. Good stuff.

Now regarding your practice with ellipses and boxes, I think these are important, and have somewhat helped me (been drawing a hour of them everyday, starting to see some progress). If I can offer a word of advice concerning the construction of cylinders it would be to pay more attention to the minor axis. In some of your inclined ones the ellipses seem to conform to an arbitrary horizontal line instead of the minor axis. Hope that makes sense, if not I can go more in depth.
I do refer to Loomis books for anatomy and proportion studies and highly recommended to anyone. Mainly because it's the easier to understand. Another book that I like to recommended to is Jack Hamm figure drawing books.

Your critique on the cylinders makes sense. I need to take a look at the videos again to get a better understanding. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
Ninja-J
Karbonite

The thing with Carpel Tunnel:

Waiting patiently for my wrist to get better from the carpel tunnel. I really want to draw new stuff, but my hand and wrist keeps hurting. I would feel these little shocks from my elbow, wrist, and fingers. Especially if I have to use my dominant right hand for 7-8 hours at my job 4-5 days a week. Lifting up 20 pounds of stuff, typing fast on the register, and scanning things repeatedly nonstop. You know the drill.

I hate missing out in the art tumblr blog community because I would feel guilty if I donít post art frequently on here. If I stop drawing for a long time, then all my hard improvement will be gone. Maybe I should reblog the finished works that I did in the past for now.

Iím not sure if you guys deal the same thing with carpel tunnels or trying to draw every single day for hours just to post fresh content.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
muzz
karbogasm

When your wrist stops hurting, you should start strengthening it. http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-r...ength?page=0,1

I've been doing these every couple of days and they really help in the long run.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
When your wrist stops hurting, you should start strengthening it. http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-r...ength?page=0,1

I've been doing these every couple of days and they really help in the long run.
Thank you so much for the link. I'll look into it.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Ninja-J
Karbonite

I'm still resting my drawing hand, but here are my latest gesture studies.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:13 AM   #8
Campside
Karbonite

The contours of your figures are looking pretty solid. I think that maybe now you should try to get down communicating foreshortening. Right now some of the foreshortened limbs look too much like overlaid flat shapes.

I hope your hand gets better soon! It must be frustrating to have to slow down.
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #9
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campside
The contours of your figures are looking pretty solid. I think that maybe now you should try to get down communicating foreshortening. Right now some of the foreshortened limbs look too much like overlaid flat shapes.

I hope your hand gets better soon! It must be frustrating to have to slow down.
Thank you. Do you know any live figure drawing videos that deal with foreshortening?
Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Tonight's studies includes with a step-by-step progress.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Hand studies warm ups before working on my commission. :-)

Old 07-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Warmups since it's been a while since I done any gesture studies. My hand is better now.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Ninja-J
Karbonite

It's been a while since I posted fun stuff. I'm going to correct things on this picture later.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Tonightís anatomy studies involving male and female torsos. Photo references is used and the reason for doing these studies is because Iím inspired by Nsio. :-)

Last edited by Ninja-J : 07-07-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Ninja-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #15
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Out of all the coloring styles, which ones do you find the most easiest to do? I swear, I nitpicking on what my initial coloring style should be. One day, I want to do digital painting so I do photo studies using basic or angle brushes. Other days, I want to do soft shading style and use airbrushes or watercolor brushes.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #16
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Nice studies! I love the hands
And I love how much form your figures studies have, especially the girls.
My advise with colouring styles is don't worry about it and do whatever you want whenever haha
Personally I find myself more into the painterly/watercolour esque stuff. I'm not good with really neat and perfect rendering, (and personally I don't like the focus there is on pretty rendering skills anyway but that's another topic for another day)

But really, in general, I think it's best to not worry about style of any sort too much. A lot of people these days tend to though. Experiment a lot and have fun. It's different for everyone. What you find easiest or what you prefer might even have a bit to do with how much traditional you do/have done. Just a side thought.
I'd just play around with it and eventually you should have a pretty good idea of what works for you ;D

I've thought about this sort of thing myself, but at the end of the day, I don't ever want to limit myself to one thing just because I feel like I should always be doing this single style, y'know?
Hexdust2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #17
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexdust2970
Nice studies! I love the hands
And I love how much form your figures studies have, especially the girls.
My advise with colouring styles is don't worry about it and do whatever you want whenever haha
Personally I find myself more into the painterly/watercolour esque stuff. I'm not good with really neat and perfect rendering, (and personally I don't like the focus there is on pretty rendering skills anyway but that's another topic for another day)

But really, in general, I think it's best to not worry about style of any sort too much. A lot of people these days tend to though. Experiment a lot and have fun. It's different for everyone. What you find easiest or what you prefer might even have a bit to do with how much traditional you do/have done. Just a side thought.
I'd just play around with it and eventually you should have a pretty good idea of what works for you ;D

I've thought about this sort of thing myself, but at the end of the day, I don't ever want to limit myself to one thing just because I feel like I should always be doing this single style, y'know?
You have a valid point since experimentation is the key. I guess I test the waters until I find the right one. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Livestreaming right now:

https://picarto.tv/Paintixir
Old 07-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #19
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Another day, another painting. I need new brushes to use. I'm trying to debate whether tog et rid of the lines or not...

Old 07-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #20
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Foreshortening pose practice! :-)