Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Exercise Yard
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #161
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapho

fml I've just picked up monster hunter which is where I've disappeared off to.
One of us... one of us...
I'm a bit jack of all trades, but I think I prefer the lance. Seems more specialized, plus the impact+cut damage is awesome.
I know it's just a sketch, but I've always loved how clean your line art seems.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #162
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

@Djinn: Thanks Yeah greatsword!
@Joe: Thanks, I've always struggled with lineart so I reallly tried to make em clean here. Yeah I like how in mh being the jack of all trades is actually viable. For now I only use greatsword cus it just feels more substantial. Lance has sweet dps though! Did you guys fight all the monsters already? This game has sooo much content it's insane!

Having some fun with some portraits tonight. I tried hatching in photoshop... Gosh no it just doesn't have the same sensitivity as a pencil. Scratching that out for the future :s
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #163
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 

-cracks knuckles- let's go! CnC welcome
Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #164
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

That top right one:

Also, may just be me, but I don't think the one with the red light works as well as all the other ones. Like, the lighting looks good, but the scene doesn't quite work. Does that make sense?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #165
djizomdjinn
night painter

#2 has too little contrast for a battle scene, IMO, with the soft heavenly uniformly gold hue.

#3 has the opposite problem, that bright red on bright green is kind of painfully contrasty.

#1 has a nice enough mood, but I see those colors enough that it's a 'safe' option; workable, but nothing new. Also dark lighting means background fiddly bits don't read as well and fade out of focus (which admittedly is what you want, but...)

#4 is my favorite. Strong dynamic lighting, strong contrast, but doesn't eat the characters. Well, maybe the left guy a little bit.

Also these remind me of my favorite stage in BlazBlue.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #166
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

It's been such a crazy year, but now I'm back in school so I have time again x) Nice to see the old faces still around. Going to get back in gear B) CnC very welcome.

(click for larger)
Old 09-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #167
djizomdjinn
night painter

Yaaay! The ast weekday pics are back! Great to see you back too!

Alright, on to crits.

-Kind of want to see the teal light creep along the ivy vines along the stone wall. Actually along the stones in general. For a brick wall, the soft gradation is fine, but this looks more like hewn stone, which I think would have harder shadows and highlights.

- Also, the light source is coming outside the tunnel to the right, but it almost feels like the figure itself should be the teal light source? At least a minor one.

- I love the mixture of soft edges and hard edges where it counts.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #168
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Hey man thanks for the CnC glad to be back too. looking at it again I do agree with what you said... the spirit however I didn't want to make a light source because it's not supposed exist physically, so I wanted her to look very different from the treatment of the rest of the picture. I made some changes to the wall, does it look better?

Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #169
djizomdjinn
night painter

Yeah, it looks a lot better!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #170
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Thanks djizom

And now for something completely different... my friend wanted my help in setting the look for his game, I did a little something for that

(click for larger)
Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #171
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

(click for larger)

Figuring out rocks...
Old 09-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #172
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Quick study for today...

A little painting WIP for fun CnC appreciated!

(click for larger)

Last edited by astrapho : 09-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #173
djizomdjinn
night painter

Man... I'm such a sucker for nice capes, and also your background painting skills make me jelly.

The bottom most recent one though... I don't know, doesn't really seem as polished as your other pieces here. Maybe it's all the hard mechanical objects, but the three point perspective seems kind of stretched vertically, there's not as much emphasis on scale in the composition as I feel there should be (wow, giant laser shooting monolith–hey look an ambulance) and the values don't quite seem there yet.

Not unsolvable problems, but I think it could use some more thought at the thumbs / sketch phase before it goes any further.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #174
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Damn, your studies are on point! Great to see you back.

Oh and the last one is just perfect, love the style.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #175
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

@Dizom: Thanks for the comments! Yeah I think it's because I've not put any textures yet, I wanted to see what can be done just with flats. I agree with the scale and lighting issues though... guess I need to go back to thumbnails, I tried to fix it but it soon became quite messy >-< I'm going to make some thumbs before continuing.

@Lamb: Thanks!

I wanted to make an animation so this is a style test. The rules were that the bg can be painted, but the character has only max 2 flat color layers and the rest of the colors on it is achieved with blending layers and adjustments. I've always done painterly stuff so switching to this has been hard... CnC appreciated as always

Also I've been on here for a really long time and just noticed I've pretty much never done a single tutorial, but i've learnt a lot from here so thought I should give back a little :9 is there any tutorial that you'd like to see in particular?
Old 09-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #176
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapho
Also I've been on here for a really long time and just noticed I've pretty much never done a single tutorial, but i've learnt a lot from here so thought I should give back a little :9 is there any tutorial that you'd like to see in particular?
the sorcery you make. how do?
Seriously, though, I think anything to do with color would be beneficial to me. How do you arrive at the color choices you make? Do you approach a painting by doing value studies first, or do you usually have everything all mapped out in your head before you even begin?
Old 10-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #177
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Really good and difficult topic you chose x) I've been thinking about it and there's really a lot to explain, I took ages to figure out a little bit and there are definitely a lot of things to understand, I don't really know where I should start. I'll try making something sometime and run it by you to see if it's helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
the sorcery you make. how do?
Seriously, though, I think anything to do with color would be beneficial to me. How do you arrive at the color choices you make? Do you approach a painting by doing value studies first, or do you usually have everything all mapped out in your head before you even begin?
Update on that piece:

And a quick one for fun
Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #178
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Something a bit different today...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #179
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Another one for my friend's game
Old 10-06-2016, 12:29 AM   #180
djizomdjinn
night painter

Nice! Always love the lighting and colors in your pieces. The patterning and little suggested details on the dress are gorgeous.

If you have trouble deciding where to start for the tutorial, may I suggest an in-progress shot of one of these pieces every few (15? 30? I don't know how fast you work) minutes? I feel that just looking at process already helps people out immensely who don't know how to start.