View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Mashime
Karbonite

Default A typical drawing day

Hello

Just this once I wanted to share with you how a typical drawing day works for me.

I start the day with the usual routine of drawing lines/ellipses/boxes for 1 hour. Won't include those here to alleviate an overly long post.

Then it's time for some gesture drawings, some 1 and then 2 minutes poses.

At this point the sloppy design and indecisive line quality are already getting to me. I opt for a tactical retreat to the realm of theory, and watch Propopenko's "bean" video and give it a try using 1 minute poses as references.

As I grind down on Proko's beans, I am all too aware of the fact that this technique is quite familiar to me. I learned it in 2012 at drawingtutorialsonline.com. The thought that 38 sketchbooks have gone by since while delivering so little improvement gives me sweaty palms and accelerated breathing, and my line quality further deteriorates as a result.

Doggedly, I try to rationalize the problem. My lack of ability to place the middle line is a clear clue that I'm having issues perceiving overlaps on the models. I leave the poses aside, and watch Proko draw some more beans to cool off. I then take two foam balls and stuff them in a sock, twisting and pinching them, and trying to draw from that for a while.

The folds created by twisting the sock seem to entice me with the promise of some insight into form, some clear answer to the ever elusive question of "what goes in front of what ?", which I chase for an hour or so before realizing that I am mostly just copying the twisting lines I see on the sock. Whatever great truth about form and overlap I had been hoping to find at the bottom of that sock had eluded me yet again.

What I longed for at this point was a respite from the unassailable intricacies of form and the space it occupies. Some purer form of drawing where I could, unburdened by the need of rationalization, be fully in tune with my raw physical limitations. It was time for some observational drawing.

As I brush aside today's failures to meet another day of drawing with a hopeful twinkle in the eye, I can't help but wonder how many days exactly like this one lay ahead before I start improving. It seems just yesterday I was a teen practicing to get good so I could make some comic book and whatnot. 25 years have come and gone, and I can still recall that guy in my class when I was 12 years old who could draw much better all these years ago than I can today.
Mashime is offline   Reply With Quote