Polykarbon Art Forum

Polykarbon Art Forum (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/index.php)
-   Sketchbooks (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Joe's sketchbook (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=27599)

Lamb 12-02-2012 03:17 AM

I think it's my turn in the SE, isn't it?

Grieverjoe 12-02-2012 08:22 AM

It has been, for the past three months. :D

Grieverjoe 12-04-2012 10:43 PM

I'm tired of this one.
It was supposed to be just a sketch, but for some reason, I just kept going.
Oh well. Time for something else!

Grieverjoe 12-10-2012 10:12 PM

The Vraska and Jarad commission has been put on the backburner for a bit. In the meantime, here's what I've been working on: another Magic commission, this time featuring a Deathrite Shaman.

...and an... "alternate" version...

I'm such a silly motherfucker.

Grieverjoe 01-05-2013 09:07 PM

30-minute random sketch for tonight.
I couldíve made it better, but itís my turn to take care of the baby. :)
Photoshop CS5, 30 minutes.

Grieverjoe 01-21-2013 07:38 PM

I'm currently working on redesigning my characters, since I haven't touched them since my animu days (about 8 years ago). I decided to start with Eva, since she's always been one of my favorites.
This is where I'm at, but then, I realized that her fighting style is very mobile and jumpy (Tai Chi sword fighting style; think Xianghua from Soul Calibur), so a heavier armor probably wouldn't work very well. I need to switch her to a lighter set, though, historically, Generals always wore the most ornate and impressive-looking armors in their armies. This is where my brainstorming session stopped, so if you think of something, lemme know.
For reference, this is what she looked like, when I first conceived her, 8 years ago. Feel free to laugh at it.
Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. :)

Grieverjoe 02-05-2013 10:00 PM

In between me going to school, staring my new job as a management consultant, and the baby getting bigger by the minute, I've been very busy lately. Have some hands!

And have some me-playing-around-with-pencil-brushes-in-Photoshop.

RobotCat 02-15-2013 07:39 PM

I don't really know if that's a good method of understanding the structure behind hands. I think you're better off doing skeleton studies of human hand/finger bones, as that'll really tell you how the hand looks from different angles with the skin over it, especially how the knucles, joints in the fingers, etc look. For the palm you'll probably want to do a few muscle studies.

Grieverjoe 02-16-2013 08:39 PM

I was looking at Michael Hampton's book for the hands. I've never done any skeletal studies, so I'll take your advice and give it a shot. :) Thanks, brother.
Tonight's bounty.

30-minute sketch of my character, Eva. This lady here; [link]
I'm actually pleased with the coloring in this one. Lot better than my old stuff, anyway.
I looked to Daryl Hannah for inspiration on her features. Think I did alright?

Grieverjoe 03-20-2013 11:01 PM

Iím planning on doing a silly God of War comic, so tonight, I did some doodles.
Bottom right is a sort-of homage to Coelasquid, since she draws the best cartoon angry Kratos face ever.

Grieverjoe 04-12-2013 09:30 AM

Word.
Lion is my name in the Ragnarok forum.

Grieverjoe 04-12-2013 11:12 PM

Man, **** mountains!

As much as I hate (and suck at) drawing mountains, I need to get better at backgrounds, and such. I gave myself a 30-minute limit, trying to make the scene recognizable without delving into too much detail.
Reference.

Grieverjoe 04-18-2013 08:14 PM

More hands, using George Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy as reference.
Pardon the shitty scanning; the page is still attached to the sketchbook.

Grieverjoe 04-18-2013 09:08 PM

...also, a WIP.
This was my wife's idea. Bonus points if you can guess where this is from. :)

RobotCat 04-21-2013 01:29 AM

The hand study is great.

On the lightpost drawing, the perspective on the guy feels a bit off. The way the lightpost is drawn makes it feel like the perspective should be a lot more extreme, but the guy looks like we're looking at him straight on as opposed to from overhead.

Grieverjoe 04-21-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 420010)
The hand study is great.

On the lightpost drawing, the perspective on the guy feels a bit off. The way the lightpost is drawn makes it feel like the perspective should be a lot more extreme, but the guy looks like we're looking at him straight on as opposed to from overhead.

Thanks.

You know, I noticed that, too, so I decided to play with it some more.

Perspective is hard, u guise!

Grieverjoe 04-26-2013 11:04 PM

Tonight's bounty.

Is water the hardest thing to draw or something?
Same as before; Painter, 45 minutes, one layer, no eraser, no undo, one brush (Bristle Oil)
Reference used

Grieverjoe 04-27-2013 10:50 PM

Same as before. Painter, one layer, one brush, no undo, or eraser. This one took closer to an hour, though. Go to one of my other sites for the full size.
Reference used.

Lamb 04-28-2013 03:46 AM

the lamb is satisfied with the progress it sees. Love the last two pieces and the hand studies.

Grieverjoe 04-30-2013 07:18 AM

Praise be the gods, The Lamb is pleased!
Thanks, brother. I'm glad you enjoy them. :)
Now I just need to retain some of the shit I'm learning when drawing from imagination. Sometimes, it seems, all the things I've been learning go out the window.