Polykarbon Art Forum

Polykarbon Art Forum (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/index.php)
-   Contests (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   [Fabulous Prize] Boss Battle Contest (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=31832)

Lamb 07-19-2014 10:37 AM

[Fabulous Prize] Boss Battle Contest

Introduction

In my most sincere belief in the benevolence of our mods, I mustered up enough courage to post this directly into the contest thread. If this is a problem, feel free to move it anywhere (but please don't).

Here comes what everyone has been eagerly anticipating, and what you may have been discussing in hushed voices huddling in the dusty corners of this board. Selling it to strangers in a public lavatory. Or going on and on about it in front of your girlfriend. She so doesn't care. But no worries! We do!

We want to see you create an epic Boss Battle for a game you always dreamed of as a child (or a game you are dreaming of right now... but no, not that one idea for that game.)

Details

Contest: Boss Battle

The scene should contain a Boss and a Hero, maybe fighting, maybe doing something else, be creative. Points will be awarded for creativity. And of course for execution.

To go along with the spirit of creativity, a ton of bullshit will be tolerated- digital art, traditional art, pixel art, lego stop motion, sock puppets, the attack of the massive origami swan, you name it, cosplay for seductive enchantresses is highly encouraged (so, you see, it could be that idea for a game after all).

Maximum of 3 submissions. Only one may appear in the top 3.

You may start right now! More importantly though, you should deliver the finished product by September 20th (2014 duh), because that sounded like just about the right amount of time. Post your art into the submission thread I will cook up later (m******f*****g son of a b*** the thread totally exists now: Right Here. It' not a trap. I promise. Any other chit chat may go here.

You may post a WIP thread in the Critique forum.

Prizes
You can win a fabulous First Prize. It's no less than a Beta Access Abyssian Tier copy of the game Duelyst.

Apart from that, the first three places will receive a shiny badge.

One special badge
- 1st place
- 2nd place
- 3rd place

Of course, as contests go, you will have to do something. Alternatively you may not, but then your chances fade compared to those who will actually do something. So do something.

Voting

But before that, we will need a system for choosing the one who deserves the amazing prize. A board of judges would be the best thing.

Judges

When he's not making his own games, he's probably doing something else. He's everyone's favorite ginger: Muzz

Doubling as our emergency contest nurse, he apparently slices up things when it's dark, but don't worry, he knows what he's doing, he's a doctor, he's: DarkReaver

For a change of pace, she's a quest designer at Pixel Federation, blogger and an overall urban elf, she's: Iluviel

And to turn the valves on the masses, to allow the voice of the public be heard, the fourth judge is: You

Judging

Each judge will pick what they consider the top three submissions. The first placed submission will receive 3 points, the second 2 and the third submission will receive 1 point. There will be also a public poll where you can pick your top contestant. The submission with the most votes will receive 3 points, the second will receive 2 and the third 1 point.

The submission with the most points from both the jury and the public poll will be pronounced winner.

Change Log
21/7/2014 - added banner; judges revealed
5/8/2014 - new first prize revealed

srilyk 07-19-2014 02:51 PM

If we go by popular vote I vote that we have N number of votes we can allocate. That way if we think one piece is a head and shoulders above the rest, we can indicate so.

Lamb 07-21-2014 02:38 PM

There will be a panel of three judges, and the public vote will be considered a fourth judge.

srilyk 07-21-2014 06:02 PM

Hooray judges!

Grieverjoe 07-26-2014 05:32 PM

Question: I think I have ideas, and I would like a place to dump them, while letting people in on them, and allowing me to receive feedback.
Do we star a thread in the Art Critique forum, like we did last time?

muzz 07-26-2014 06:51 PM

That sounds great :).

Lamb 07-27-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grieverjoe (Post 423884)
Do we star a thread in the Art Critique forum, like we did last time?

Go for it. You may also get feedback on the IRC.

djizomdjinn 07-27-2014 07:50 AM

Oooh... shiny badges. I like.

Now that I have a comp that can do art, time to get off my lazy ass and do stuff.

muzz 07-27-2014 09:57 AM

do it do it!

Professor Az 07-28-2014 04:28 PM

Mods get ten votes. Count 'em, TEN. All on my piece. :laugh:

Kidding, of course.

Lamb 07-29-2014 09:18 AM

Good that you mentioned you were only kidding. I thought it was an official thing.

Professor Az 08-01-2014 04:31 PM

It could be. :laugh:

Lamb 08-05-2014 03:00 AM

Attention PK! Since there is no such thing as too much motivation, you may now win an amazing First Prize that lamb has just happened to stumble upon whilst browsing the internet.

Dharc 08-15-2014 06:05 PM

Hah, I knew spending two months writing and coding crappy games would be good for something. I just have to work on the art part.

c0mmon_solz 08-16-2014 09:52 AM

Awesome!!!

I am soooo joining this. Good luck to everyone

Espresso 08-19-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamb (Post 423804)
the fourth judge is: You

But I'm a terrible judge of (art) character... :p

Lamb 08-20-2014 01:57 AM

No worries Espresso, the voting is rigged anyway ;D I am sure you will do well :)

Lamb 09-15-2014 02:48 PM

5 Days to go. You still have time to start working (if you are among the few, who aren't).

Ahh, that wonderful sense of achievement, you try it once, you get drunk on it. The art will never stop. The awesome will flow until you die on an overdose of awesome... and yes, you can play Duelyst in between, which is nice.

Lamb 09-20-2014 03:03 AM

Ok, One more day to go folks. I am leaving the Submission thread open for a bit longer, so you have a Sunday worth of time to work on your submissions. This is not in any way postponing the deadline, it is jus me being lenient >:D so do not leave it to the last minute. The thread is closing at 23:59 CET on Sunday (i think it is Pacific Time +9).

Dharc 09-20-2014 01:36 PM

Thanks Lamb! I didn't realize until Wednesday how far in I was over my head, since I still have a lot to look forward to. I'll make the best out of it and maybe even have a submission.