Polykarbon Art Forum

Polykarbon Art Forum (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/index.php)
-   Sketchbooks (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Joe's sketchbook (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=27599)

Grieverjoe 12-10-2011 11:02 PM

Joe's sketchbook

Probably should start one of these.
Been working on my anatomy and studying Loomis' books (finally!)
Almost done with school, dudes! All I've drawn in the past couple weeks are some 30-second poses I got from Posemaniacs.
These are all done with a pencil (don't know what kind of lead. It's a lead-holder) on good-ol' regular printer paper.

Grieverjoe 12-11-2011 10:02 PM

Just a quick little blending exercise I found over at ctrl+Paint.
Got my last final tomorrow, woo!
Also, I know I didn't mention it before, but feel free to add critique, even to my sketches. Anything you see I could do to improve, let me know. It will help me... well, improve!

afroXcore 12-11-2011 10:36 PM

I've browsed through ctrl+paint before, it really is a frikken useful site.

All i gotta say is to get used to making more sweeping, confident lines for your figures (and everything else) Draw from your shoulder and elbow, keep the wrist still.

Grieverjoe 12-15-2011 09:50 PM

Finally decided to practice what I've been studying from Loomis (as opposed to just reading and looking at the pretty pictures).
So, I've decided, in order to get better, I have to basically "reteach" myself how to draw, and what better way to start than to learn from the master himself, right? :)

Grieverjoe 12-17-2011 08:18 PM

More Loomis studies. Trying to get a sense of action this time. BY DRAWING A BUNCH OF SKELETONS.

The two big ones and the ones to the right of those are taken from Loomis' book. The rest of them are drawn from imagination.
As always, critique is appreciated.

Grieverjoe 12-19-2011 07:05 PM

Still working on my figure and anatomy, but today, I decided to mix it up a bit and do some head/face studies, taking after Kevin Chen.

For reference, this is what I was trying to emulate.

Grieverjoe 01-18-2012 08:48 PM

Been neglecting my poor, wittle sketchbook, here.

That is my wife's character, Laele. She's the same character from my wife's birthday pic that I'm still working on (I just haven't felt like working on it. Shame on me, I know. :tear:)
She got me an awesome sketchbook for Xmas, and this is the first 'real' sketch I did on it (even though it came out a lore more cartoony than I'd like...)
This is her in her superhero persona (don't ask, I don't know) and since I've been in a comics/superhero craze lately, I thought this would be a lot of fun.
It was.

CuriousJoe8 01-30-2012 09:13 PM

good gestures. have you tried longer poses? don't forget the nice lines that happen with a quick gesture though. a longer drawing fleshes out the initial action line so try not to lose sight of it.

Grieverjoe 02-13-2012 08:36 AM

I took your advice, and I tried these.

Three minutes a piece. Having a constant time constraint made it harder to concentrate, but it was a good practice.
Also, I'm working on a John Marston picture.

charmwitch 02-13-2012 04:34 PM

Man, look at that improvement!! Keep at it, man! Have you tried doing more cross-contouring int he figures? Just scribble through a figure, it can help create a 'wire' to it! It's what I do because I'm still three years old in my heart. (and it's fun!)

Grieverjoe 02-18-2012 02:45 PM

Hands are one of my weaknesses. These are from Loomis' book, "Drawing the Head & Hands."

Grieverjoe 02-22-2012 07:36 PM

More Loomis studies. Faces, this time.

Grieverjoe 02-22-2012 08:05 PM

One more...
Just playing around with what I'm learning from Loomis. Just some random sketching.

Grieverjoe 03-22-2012 07:34 AM

With the flooring in my house done, I need to get back into the swing of things. Gotta warm back up so I can finish the Succubus drawing.

afroXcore 03-22-2012 03:36 PM

Pretty awesome how you're picking this up quickly. You're putting in a lot of effort and it shows.

Grieverjoe 03-29-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks for the kind words.
So, instead of paying attention during my System Analysis and Design class, I spent it doodling some gesture sketches, taking after Bridgman's studies.
It's funny how easy I find doing gesture sketches, but as soon as I try to turn it into a full-fledged drawing, oh no!
I think I spent about 30 seconds on each one.

Grieverjoe 04-10-2012 11:00 AM

After seeing Ast's GoT drawings, I decided I'd take a shot at my favorite character, Khal Drogo.

This was, again, done on my System Analysis and Design class. I tried for a semi-realistic approach at first, trying to do a comic-y look, then I tried again with more emphasis on the realism. The third one, I tried realism, and it's my favorite one.
Is this what you guys mean by 'drawing from life'?
I like it. :)

Professor Az 04-10-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grieverjoe (Post 415684)
Is this what you guys mean by 'drawing from life'?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe
I like it. :)

We all knew you would. :)

Grieverjoe 04-14-2012 06:29 PM

Faaaaail

Grieverjoe 04-14-2012 08:28 PM

15 minute sketch while I wait for my Ragnarok game to patch.

Ragnarok Online female mage. Decided to try a textured brush for funsies.