Polykarbon Art Forum

Polykarbon Art Forum (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/index.php)
-   Contests (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   ideas for future contests (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=24540)

darkreaver 07-08-2009 09:16 PM

ideas for future contests

post your ideas for future contests here. you never know what might get picked =D

darkreaver 07-13-2009 06:55 PM

aw, don't be shy. here's some ideas that I had posted (relatively) recently in the mod's lounge:

Quote:

another idea...if any of you have read Calvino's "Invisible Cities," the contest would be to depict a fantastic city from the viewpoint of a traveler. that is, expanding or exaggerating a characterizing a property that you might find in reality into an idealized, dream city...maybe a bit too involving =p

or maybe just a 'stranger in a strange land,' depicting a traveler in a sweeping, unfamiliar world.

another environment contest idea: instead of a landscape or cityscape, maybe a contest about cloudscapes? focus on depicting expansive space and a sense of the gargantuan.
something I just thought of: design an alien character or creature, and depict what kind of internal organs might be in it, or skeletal structure/muscular system.

think about things that might be fun, or things that you want practice with. contests are a great impetus to try things that you wouldn't otherwise try.

Billov 07-13-2009 07:51 PM

Those are all really nice ideas. I think the alien creature one would get people thinking :)

But I'd probably do something for any of those. I'll try come up with some ideas tomorrow or something... rightnow its so late I thought that your avatar blinked darkreaver >_> You sure its not a GIF....

night.

rag rappi 07-13-2009 07:52 PM

I didn't even realize this thread :p Here are a couple I just thought of.

1. Oxy moron: Make a picture were things aren't suppose to go together. EX: A scene of vampires sunbathing, or mechs going for a swim.

2. Dream match. Make a poster of 2 characters in different stories in an epic pic. Ex samus aron and master chief in a pic like http://www.sloneart.com/portal/image...ield_tyson.jpg or something.

I'll say more, but I gotta leave work now

Alphaf 07-13-2009 08:10 PM

I emailed Kwiix (btw where is Kwiix?) about a contest idea some time ago, we kinda tossed it back and forth and never really got anywhere with it but it might be worth some thought.

I thought a sort of speedpaint marathon contest might be cool. I thought of 2 possible formats:
A) Everyone has a few hours (around 6 I think would be plenty) to check the subject matter and produce a painting of the subject. This could be a cool activity to repeat... like maybe a month where this happens every sunday or it could be a one time thing too.

B) It could be a similar activity but instead of shortening up time it could a series of paintings over a time period of a couple of days.

The different paintings would be judged as a sets, and under normal judging criteria so as not to make an ordeal out of that.

The problem Kwiix found with it was the potential for cheating... using something you already had and what not, but posting the theme up until the very last minute might mitigate this in the A format. Haven't really thought of a 'fix' for that in the B format.

I also thought it could be interesting to have a 'make-over' contest, I noticed a lot of people like doing those in Sketch Exchanges and other such threads. Mods could post a picture of a character, an object, a scene, even a short sequential and entrants would have to redo it to their own version. This last one just occurred to me, I havent thought it through,

afroXcore 07-13-2009 10:53 PM

i'm going to suggest an old art assignment i got in high school:

Conveying motion in a single image. Image can be about anything, but must provide the feel of movement.

Fiona 07-14-2009 08:55 AM

I like guns.

Lamb 07-14-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphaf (Post 369237)
A) Everyone has a few hours (around 6 I think would be plenty) to check the subject matter and produce a painting of the subject. This could be a cool activity to repeat... like maybe a month where this happens every sunday or it could be a one time thing too.

Remember. Some of us sleep during the time others are drawing. With only 6 hours it seems very likely to be missed by possible participants. However a set time a good while before the theme is announced, for everyone interested to be available, could solve that problem.

I also liked the "make-over" idea, could be interesting.

hanzozuken 07-14-2009 04:47 PM

how about take an existing property and giving it a "makeover". such as superman, if you could redesign his costume, how would you change it.

FlyingChild 07-14-2009 05:17 PM

Meh, I thought of something but I dont know if it would be good :P take an image of a wide empty room (like that one here) and you have to furnish it with whatever you want (it might be any wide space, not necessarly a room). Though I don't know if people would like to all have the same basic image :\

Izanaki_Reload 07-15-2009 12:52 AM

This may be a crazy thought, but perhaps the theme could be playing with food or making the weirdest meal ever kind of deal for a contest. Mama told ya not to play with your food, but she didn't say you couldn't illustrate that. Some examples could include an illustration of a little circus made out of mash potatoes or a cartoonish squid on a plate staring you square in the eye.

Yeah . . . I'm a bit hungry at the moment. =P~~~

effin 07-15-2009 01:21 AM

Do a re-imagining of a classic children's story.
EDIT: but goddam thats so cliché

falmith 07-15-2009 01:09 PM

You could make a the title a theme...It could be an object, or an emotion or whatever, but every piece the participants make would have the exact same title. Ex: "Rock" could be a pic that focuses on mountains, or pebbles, someone could be throwing the rock, someone could depict a rock concert, ....y'know.

As for things-people-don't-normally-do....how about a contest where we'd draw in the style of someone else? For some reason, I'm thinking of a secret santa-esque format where people who sign up get assigned someone else's style to do within the contest. But that doesn't work very well if people drop out and stuff....also not much of a theme, but maybe you can combine this idea with something else. =/

srilyk 07-15-2009 03:54 PM

I think a fun idea would be to have an image that's 5-10 px high and some amount wide (or vice versa) that every entrant has to keep (relatively) unspoiled in their art. After all submissions are in, each piece is combined with the original piece that the 5-10 px high/wide image was taken off. Perhaps there could be some theme/word to describe what's going on in the original (i.e. "Water" or "Robot" or "Hot Chick") or something. I think it could produce some interesting results :unibrow:

Krasnoznamonec 07-15-2009 04:15 PM

Srilyk i made a thread in good old 2006 that showed of Runet livejournal/art communities combined effort.

Result of their efforts was this thing:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060217120415/bkmk.ru/x/

darkreaver 07-15-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Result of their efforts was this thing:
ah, I am reminded of this: http://www.zoomquilt.org/

would require sequential effort though.

some good ideas so far! This'll be a good reference in the future.

srilyk 07-16-2009 02:02 PM

Both of those are similar to what I had in mind... and pretty epic. I really love the zoom quilt though.

Jats 07-17-2009 01:17 AM

How about a colab competition? Colours and lines or something like that.

hanzozuken 07-17-2009 08:11 AM

i really like falmith's idea of trying to draw someone else's style. would be very challenging and yet you would hope nobody would cheat like trace it or something of that nature.

ssjmvegita 07-18-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jats (Post 369442)
How about a colab competition? Colours and lines or something like that.

We already did one of those.

How about a man vs. wild theme?